And just like that, it's officially summer vacation!
School ended on Thursday. Yesterday, we woke up to rain and highs in the low 60s. Which is fine by me, since Taskmaster Mommy has decided we must reorganize their bedroom and playroom before any fun can be had this summer.
We took a break from our work, however, to visit our favorite branch of the Wichita Public Library system, in order to sign up for the Summer Reading Program. We are so excited! In previous years, the girls would set their own reading goal, then keep a log of all the books they read. This year, instead of a log, they just have to check a box every time they read for 20 minutes. Additionally, they must complete four book-related activities. They have already checked their first box: "Ask a grown-up what they liked to read as a kid." Both girls plan to "Read a cookbook and make a recipe." Little Sis found a book called Japanese Cooking for Kids. Big Sis thrilled me by grabbing Roald Dahl's Revolting Recipes. Audiobooks make the activity list, too. Little Sis grabbed an audiobook of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, read by Michael York. Big Sis checked out City of Ember, which she plans to follow along with as she reads the book. (I own the whole series.) Little Sis wants to "Dress up as your own superhero and take a picture," draw a picture about a book, and "Read a graphic novel." Big Sis would be happy to attend a library program.
And now for some link love:
- Please excuse my lack of big kid and grown-up reading lately. I've been busy with this.
- After visiting this place on a Girl Scout field trip, I have decided we will visit there once a week this summer, if not more.
- I look forward to this every year.
- I love everything on this blog, but these made my day.
- I do not mind the cool weather right now. Not at all. But I am tired of all this rain. I wish I lived in this blogger's spring and summer, especially when I see photos like this or like this.
- A fun booklist for the very modern fairy tale fan.
- I am constantly looking at fairy wing tutorials. My dream is to own some gorgeous wings like these, but I must admit, it was love at first sight when I saw these on Pinterest.
- I hope this Icelandic company makes their wares available in the U.S. soon.
- We haven't had a chance to rebuild the fairy house yet. Too much rain, and it always hits when Mr. B is off work. I've been admiring pictures of others', though. Look at this wicker hut!
- The always-fabulous Danielle Thompson has started a Facebook page just for her cosplay photography. Look at this amazing Lolita Wizard of Oz shoot she did! (And I love her Instagram feed, by the way.)
- I really want this book for the girls.
- We are almost finished with season 3 of the best TV show I have ever seen. (On DVD, of course. I'm always a few years behind the times.)
- Steampunk Day at Old Cowtown Museum is a week from today! I'm thinking of making something along these lines...
- Look at this adorable book, then see more Ruth Krauss goodness here.
- Heck yeah!
- Double-heck yeah!
And if you haven't had a chance, please check out the rest of my posts this week: three days of Japanese folktales (one, two, three) and a bit of moony whimsy.
I hope the weather is fine where you are, and no matter what,
Merry Weekend! Happy Reading!