Instagrams, Books & Family Stuff, and Link Love
Happy Weekend, dear readers! It is very, very cold here in south-central Kansas, but dry and snow-less. I hate that. If it's going to be this cold, then I want to see some snow! Real snow, not the tiny dust specks that blew for a minute or two this morning. For all of you who may be up to your ears in the stuff, I'm sorry. Roll your eyes at me. Ignore me. Yell and threaten to send me all your white stuff.
I haven't done a nice Friday round-up of what we've been reading in a while, and unfortunately, I don't have one now. I have to admit, my attention span is slightly shot lately. I think I'm still coming down from shows and traveling and stuff. The girls are doing a much better job. I posted the first picture on Instagram last night. Big Sis is finally reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. She has three different copies placed in different places: my leatherbound deluxe edition (which I bought in the bargain assortment at Barnes & Noble) is in her desk at school, my original hardcover is up on her bunk bed, and her own illustrated edition is roaming around the rest of the house. She just happened to be wearing her Gryffindor socks last night, too.
Little Sis is re-reading the Owl Diaries books. She read the first book aloud to me this week:
She started reading the second book again last night. There is a third book, but I've talked her into waiting until the school's Scholastic Book Fair next month to get it.
Otherwise, the month has seen Little Sis enjoying her new art supplies:
There's her new Tsum Tsum. Little Sis continues to love her toys, especially her dolls and stuffed animals. She is spending Friday night at her BFF's house, then Saturday will find her at Chuck E. Cheese for a birthday party. She has a very busy social life!
Big Sis is my quieter girl. She began guitar lessons this month and is progressing quickly. She is developing a knack for music. Besides her guitar, her Beatles records are her other favorite Christmas gifts.
Other favorite projects: counting down the days until she can change earrings [she used Christmas and leftover birthday money to get her ears pierced!], making candles with her daddy, playing with Peanut, making a pompom scarf, and playing lots and lots of Trivial Pursuit: Family Edition.
Another favorite Christmas gift: the girls received a Doodle Crate subscription from a family friend in Minnesota! The first project was screenprinting! It came with a screen, ink, and stencils, and a drawstring backpack. They both love it.
I've been in cold weather cooking mode. I made baba ghanoush for the first time, along with roasted red pepper hummus. [This cookbook.] I made homemade pita bread, and along with a boxed mix falafel and yummy feta, it turned out to be a delicious meal. A couple days later, I made my potato soup with Irish soda bread.
Other Favorite Things
- Shakshuka is currently my favorite savory breakfast, especially when it's under 30 degrees outside.
- This show just appeared on Hulu. I've already watched it once (and Mr. B has seen it twice), but "All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again." Halfway through season one now, in fact.
- Mr. B and I watched this, too. Loved it. [We watched it via Shout Factory's Roku channel.]
- I am very excited to see this on the big screen again next month. [I saw it 3 times in the theater in the '80s!] It was already on the Orpheum schedule, but it will be especially poignant now. Little Sis will wear her t-shirt. I will sing along and whisper all the lines.
- By the way, have you ever seen this? It was made for HBO back in 1986, and was included on the DVD extras.
- If you have Amazon Prime, this new original series for kids is very cute. It's based on a book, which we may have to check out.
- I shared this on Facebook, but I'm sharing here, too, BECAUSE IT'S AWESOME.
- And also this.
Stay warm, dear friends!
Merry Weekend! Happy Reading!